When planning your home interiors, do not leave out the balcony design. It is a crucial part of your home. You pay attention to its design as well. Just like the rest of the rooms, your balcony has a few specific requirements. You will have to design the space according to those requirements so that you feel comfortable and the space appears appealing. One of the most important parts of your balcony is the floor. In most cases, people only pay attention to the look when choosing the flooring material. However, it is not the correct manner of choosing flooring material for your balcony. This is because all types of flooring materials available in the market are not suitable for your balcony. Many commonly used interior flooring options cannot be used for the balcony as they will not be able to withstand harsh weather conditions. Factors like durability and sturdiness are very crucial for balcony flooring materials. If you are not sure about the flooring material you should choose for the balcony, here are a few options you can consider:
Table of Contents
01 of 03 Ceramic
One of the most common flooring materials you can consider for your balcony design is ceramic. This material is manufactured using a mixture of clay, sand, and water. Even though this material is used in home interiors, you can use it for outdoor spaces like your home balcony as well.
- If you do not have a lot of time to clean the floor of your balcony, choose ceramic. It is a low-maintenance material.
- People looking for affordable options should consider ceramic. It is one of the most budget-friendly materials available in the market. Other alternatives like stone, wood, and porcelain are costlier than ceramic.
- Since the material is quite light, handling and installing them is easy.
- You get innumerous options when it comes to choosing the colour, pattern, and design of the material. Hence, you can give the balcony any design you want.
- Although the material is durable, there are many better options available.
- You should always choose non-porous materials for your balcony flooring. Since ceramic is porous, the chances of water damage are very high in the long run.
- Even if you buy very colourful and vibrant ceramic tiles for the balcony, they will lose their shine and appeal after a few years because of the constant exposure to bad weather conditions.
02 of 03 Natural stone
People looking for a luxurious touch use natural stone for the flooring. You can make your balcony design luxurious as well using this material. There are various types of natural stones available in the market. The most popularly used options for balconies are sandstone and slate. Contrary to that, options like graphite and marble should be avoided for the balcony flooring as they might lose their shine after being exposed to weather conditions for some time.
- If you are looking for durable and long-lasting options, you can never go wrong with natural stones.
- If you choose the right natural stone, the material will not get damaged over time due to exposure to weather conditions.
- In hot countries like India, it is always better to choose materials that stay naturally cool. Natural stones are one of the best options you can consider for this option.
- The aesthetic beauty of natural stones is unmatched. You can create a very appealing design.
- Since most natural stones are porous, you will not get a lot of options while choosing the right material for your balcony flooring.
- Compared to other materials, installing and handling natural stones are difficult. They are heavy and require a lot of maintenance. You will have to put in a lot of time and effort.
- The material is expensive compared to other alternatives. Hence, it is not the best option if you have a low budget.
03 of 03 Hardwood flooring
This material is very commonly used across the world for various purposes indoors and outdoors. Besides its versatility, aesthetic beauty is one of the key benefits of wood. You will give your balcony decor a luxurious feel and make it warmer and more welcoming. The most commonly used options for outdoor flooring are cedar, teak, redwood, etc.
- Wood is a durable material and can easily last as long as natural stones. You can find variants that are water-resistant. Some options like teak can easily last a century.
- You do not have to worry about cleaning the flooring. Wooden flooring can be cleaned simply by mopping.
- If you want a very appealing and timeless appeal, wood is the best.
- If you want affordable options for your balcony decor, choosing hardwood is not a wise decision. It is one of the most expensive options.
- You will require sub-flooring for installing the hardwood flooring. Hence, the installation process will be longer and cost you more.
- You will have to very carefully choose the quality of wood. Poor quality wood will get damaged easily and is susceptible to attacks from termites.
- You cannot walk on hardwood flooring wearing anything rough as it can get scratched. People with pets in the house should avoid hardwood flooring.